|In the last quarter of the 19th century, Jacksonville was Florida’s largest city. The magnificent St. John’s provided an important transportation artery 200 miles south into central Florida. “City of Jacksonville” is front and center in the moonlight returning to Astor’s Wharf after an all day run. In the foreground is the impressive Astor Building, completed in 1879. The background shows the Jacksonville, Tampa & Key West Railroad bridge, the first bridge to cross the St. John’s River. Though most of the landmarks depicted in this print survived the Great Fire of 1901, unfortunately they no longer exist.